The majority of optometrists are independent primary care general optometric practitioners, some practice part-time or full time in hospital eye departments and others are active in research and teaching. The development of the scope of optometric practice includes proposals for optometrist to carry out some functions currently in secondary care sector. The knowledge and skills obtained allow a graduate to enter a career in all areas of optometry such as: Clinical Optometrist, Community Optometrist, Optometrist in Retail Optical Stores, Education and Research, Consultant in Private Practice, Consultant in Tertiary Healthcare, Consultant in Business or Business Communication, Specialized Optometry Care, Optometrist in Military and Security Services.
- A pass in the IIUM Matriculation Centre's final examination with a CGPA of not less than 2.50
The general academic requirements for admission into undergraduate degree programmes of IIUM (General Requirements for Malaysians)
- A Pass at the SPM level or equivalent with at least
- A Credit in Bahasa Melayu / Bahasa Malaysia or equivalent A Credit in “Pendidikan Islam” / “Tasawwur Islam” / ”Pendidikan Al-Qur’an & As-Sunnah” / ”Pendidikan Syariah Islamiah” at the SPM level or equivalent; A Credit in any three (3) subjects in SPM/equivalent.
- A Diploma or any other Equivalent Qualification with a CGPA 3.00 recognized by the Government of Malaysia and approved by the Senate of the University
- A Pass at the STAM examination with at least Jayyid Jiddan:
- A Pass at the STPM examination with a CGPA of 3.00 or at least:
- Grade C [Subject Grade Point (SGP)] of 2.00 in the General Paper; Grade C [Subject Grade Point (SGP)] of 2.00 in two  of other subject taken.
- Obtained a required Band in the “Malaysian University English Test” (MUET) as specify by each programmes.
* The University reserves the right to change the above requirements at any time without prior notice.Three principal passes, or 'C' grades in the STPM (Sijil Tinggi Persekolahan Malaysia) examination,
The general academic requirements for admission into undergraduate degree programmes of IIUM (International Qualifications)
- At least three (3) principal passes in the General Certificate of Education ‘Advanced Level’ (GCE) ‘A’ Level Examination (UK Educational System) obtained in one sitting;
- International Baccalaureate (IB) with a minimum of six (6) subjects obtained in one sitting;
- Any other qualifications that are recognized by the Senate of the University as equivalent to the above
Depending on the programme of study, instruction at IIUM is carried in English and/or Arabic. Applicants wishing to pursue studies in programmes taught in English must obtain:
- A score of 550 in the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or
- 6.0 points in the test administrated by the International English Language Testing Service (IELTS)
- If they do not have either of these qualifications, applicants may sit for the IIUM-administered English Placement Test (EPT), in which they must obtain at least 6.0 points to fulfill the requirement.
- Applicants interested in programmes taught in Arabic must obtain an exemption after sitting for the IIUM-administered Arabic Placement Test (APT).
Applicants who are unable to submit satisfactory results in any of the tests above may take up language proficiency courses at the university to fulfill the admission requirements.
If deemed necessary, applicants may also be required to attend an interview and/or take an entrance test conducted by the Board of Admissions. Applicants should note that normally there are more applications than places available at the University. The fulfillment of the minimum entrance requirements alone does not guarantee admission into the University.
Undergraduate Intake Schedule The details of the undergraduate intakes are as follows:
International / Malaysian with Local Qualification
To apply through Ministry of Higher Education (MOHE) - please refer to advertisement or visithttp://www.mohe.gov.my
A complete application should consist of the following items:
- A complete, signed application form; and
- Certified true Copy of Transcripts / Higher School Certificate (HSC) / GCE 'A' Level or equivalent; or
- Certified true Copy of GCE 'O' Level or equivalent; and Recommendation Letter (at least one form the authority bodies); and
- Applicant's Financial Statement and/or
- Undertaking Letter; or
- Applicant's Undertaking or Sponsorship Letter from the Government (for MBBS, Dentistry & Pharmacy applicants)
All enclosed academic records and other supporting documents must be certified true copies.
For detail information :